Botanical Stem Cells in Advanced Skincare
Stem Cell Technology - a term that’s become more widely used across the cosmetics and skincare industry. Let’s take a deeper look into Stem Cell Technology and how it’s used in skincare.
Botanical stem cells are undifferentiated cells located in the meristems of plants. They serve as the origin of plant vitality, as they maintain themselves while providing a steady supply of cells to form undifferentiated tissues and organs in the plant¹. Botanical stem cells have the ability to convert themselves into any other type of cell produced by that same organism. This ability is critical to proper development, recovery, and regrowth². Their special cellular process of plant tissue regeneration is what offers unique properties that can benefit the skin. These properties have allowed the use of plant cell culture technology in skincare to grow³.
Botanical stem cells are created in labs where they are held in controllable conditions. This allows for the extracted stem cells to be as pure as possible. Various steps in the extraction process involve the selection of suitable plant materials, callus induction, and subcultivation. The cells are then broken down to release the cell’s active ingredients. The produced extracts from botanical stem cells are what end up being used in cosmetics and skincare⁴.
Research has shown that plant stem cells can offer a variety of benefits to the skin. A clinical study conducted at Mibelle AG Biochemistry consisting of a liposome-encapsulated extract of cultured apple stem cells, as a cosmetic ingredient, showed significant potential in reducing wrinkles in the crow’s feet area of the face. The 4-week test consisted of 20 women, ages 37-64. Applying the cream twice a day on the crow’s feet area resulted in wrinkles becoming shallow by 8% after 2 weeks, and by 15% after 4 weeks⁵. Other research has shown that botanical stem cells can help stimulate better cell turnover, leading to more youthful cells at the surface of the skin⁶.
- Helps even out skin tone and texture
- Boosts collagen production
- Expedites healing process
- Skin regeneration
When manufacturing our products, we pride ourselves on incorporating the best ingredients in our clinical solutions and skincare. While we only list a few of our top extracts, many of our products contain other stem cell extracts such as Licorice Extract, Grape Seed Extract, Chamomile Extract, and many more.
- Malus Domestica Fruit Culture Extract (Apple Stem Cell): Swiss apple stem cells are encapsulated in the liposomes prepared from soy-phospholipids. This protects the longevity of the skin’s stem cells by delaying the senescence of essential cells, combating chronological aging, and preserving the youthful look and vitality of the skin.
- Rhododendron Ferrugineum Leaf Cell (Alpine Rose) Culture Extract: Helps rejuvenate the deep layers of the skin by hydrating and providing antioxidants. It also can assist in reducing redness and increase skin elasticity.
- Mulberry Extract: Highly effective skin lightening & depigmenting agent containing effective antioxidants that help slow down the production of dark pigment in the skin and can assist in evening out skin tone and texture.
- Magnolia Bark Extract: Contains anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that may assist in cleansing the skin and protecting against free radicals. It can also help to prevent the loss of skin elasticity, reduce redness of the skin, and decelerate the aging process.
- Nelumbo Nucifera (Lotus) Culture Extract: Callus stem cell culture medium consisting of highly concentrated cytokine, which is effective for anti-inflammation, antioxidant, and anti-wrinkle benefits. It helps soothe and moisturize the skin, in addition to offering a natural brightening effect.
- Hydrolyzed Pea Protein: Nano-sized liposomized peptides (~150nm) and stem cells extracted from peas help activate collagen production and fibroblast proliferation while activating collagenase.